What is a Graphic Novel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is a Graphic Novel?

Post by Christopher Muscat on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 pm

What is a GRAPHIC NOVEL for the fans and comic collectors?

Sometime ago, I taught a graphic novel, meant an original one shot story in Hard Cover or Trade Paper Back format that had a beginning and an ending. Some of these graphic novels are the Marvel and DC large formats that they used to issue in the 1980s. Ex. The Death of Captain Marvel, X-Men - God loves man kills, etc. This was before the comic scene exploded with collected editions and sales for the regular series went in decline. I used to like these stories as I used to think that for a story to be issued in this format, it had to be special or really good.

These days a collected limited series or part of a regular series that has a conclusion sometimes is considered a graphic novel too. Maybe because of the sales marketing, creators tend to issue first as a limited series, then in collected format. It could be optioned as part of the regular series as regular series are collected too.

But are these collections a Graphic Novel? Question Question Question Question

My opinion is that this is a collected edition. I still think that a graphic novel is a one shot.

What is your opinion?

Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a Graphic Novel?

Post by chrislegalle on Fri May 04, 2012 3:49 am

Yeah everything is called a graphic novel these days. In my opinion a graphic novel is a standalone story which has a begining, a middle and an end. A story which is published directly in this format as opposed to trade paperbacks, collections etc.

An example of a graphic novel is The Golden Lizard even though the way Fabio originally wrote it, lacked an ending. Ha ha ha.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Then I guess, we agree!

Trade paper backs and hard covers of regular series or limited series are just collections not graphic novels.

Not only THE GOLDEN LIZARD is a graphic novel but the first Maltese graphic novel!
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamKaiba on Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 am

A Graphic Novel needs a proper Intro, Middle and Conclusion. It can be expanded and have a sequel but it still has to make sense on its own and it can't have 'to be continued' instances in it.

As a beginner in comic-reading I tend to watch out for Graphic Novels, Collected volumes or concluded series. For someone who gets attached to the characters and the plot, a graphic novel is my ideal version of a book because you can visualise your characters. I tend to grow impatient when I have to wait for an issue to come out and have nothing to read in between!

I also feel that there is a special talent in Graphic Novels. The writer needs to have a good story that can be drawn in a volume, get the readers engaged and have suspense. With a series even though you might have a lame issue, you can recuperate with the following. A graphic novel is either good or bad, there aren't any second chances!
SamKaiba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top