What Comics have you been reading recently?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Comics have you been reading recently?

Post by chrislegalle on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am

I've just read Time Bomb Comics' excellent Dick Turpin books (Dick Turpin and the Restless Dead and Dick Turpin and the Crimson Plague) and Tim Perkins' epic graphic novel World's End Volume 1: Riders on the Storm. Am currently reading The Big Lie featuring work by the lovely bloke Gary Erskine, and am looking forward to Eric Orchard's Marrowbones.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Comics have you been reading recently?

Post by Christopher Muscat on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Well! There are so many comics... currently reading Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender is innovative and Tocchini's artwork is great).
Read also Captain America and Bucky...Ed Brubaker's run is still going strong..pitting classic villains into a new light....or better..Francesco Francavilla's pencils and colours.
Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead keeps you wanting for more. Looking forward to issue 100.
Another great series I am following on the Hard Cover books is the excellent story about real vampiers by American Vampire. Scott Snyder is one of the recent additions to my favourite writers. Soon I will start reading his take on Batman.

Will keep you updated with more next week Smile

Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamKaiba on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:35 am

I've finally caught up on reading 'The Walking Dead' myself. Read issue 96 yesterday and I'm glad they announced that they will be printing an issue every 3 weeks up to issue 100!

Now I just ordered the first volume of 'Fables' I hope to receive it soon!
SamKaiba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Just read the latest issue of The Walking Dead, issue 96....but I thought that the story line is repeating itself....I do not want to put spoilers but it seems we already saw a similar situation in the same comic series. Probably Kirkman will surprise us with something different for the big issue 100.

We just have to wait and see!

BTW good choice Sam for ordering Fables....maybe you could lend it to be! Smile
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

The Walking Dead is truly amazing, glad you're hooked on it Sam. Now check out Robert's other amazing series Invincible. The Astounding Wolf-Man is good as well.

Chris, lend me some Scott Snyder's books please cause you got my interest piqued.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

No problem my friend....I have three volumes for now and already pre booked volume 4.
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle on Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 am

Finished the Big Lie which was an interesting and enjoyable read about conspiracy theories regarding September 11.

Also finished issue 1 of Marrowbones, which I really liked. This one is fantastic and definitely worth checking out.

Now I'm reading Garth Ennis' Chronicles of Wormwood: The Last Battle.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 pm

I did not read much comics during the last few days however I managed to read the latest issues of -

Uncanny X-Force : 24 - Rick Remender is still going strong. This issues artwork is rendered by Phil Noto (love is pencilling) and colours by one of the greatest colorist - Dean White. The only fault about this series is that it is not finding a regular penciler although most of the rotating artists are excellent.
FF :17 - A fun issue...The Human Torch and Spider-man sharing an apartment. It should work but does it...? Nick Dragotta's art is simple but effective. I am becoming a fan!

Next week I will tell you what I think about Remender's Secret Avengers. Laughing
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dhalia on Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm

I really enjoyed reading The Punisher Max series that recently finished, and have since been floating about in search for another series to read.

Venom is what i have brought recently and i think it is really well done and i like the 'rougher' art style to it and the new image of the Jack'o Lantern is great.

Dhalia

View user profile http://www.schoolofbitches.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 am

Hi David, and welcome,

I read almost all the Punisher Max series....just need to read the last installment. Jason Aaron is one hell of a writer and he managed not to disappoint after the issues by Garth Ennis.

Check out the new title by Greg Rucka. He is doing some great Punisher stories too in the new ongoing stories, with artwork by the Italian Marco Checchetto.

Have not read any Venom comics but I am sure they are great as the series is in the capable hands of one of my favourite writers - Rick Remender.
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dhalia on Sun May 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Thank you, Yes i have been picking up the Punisher series by Greg Rucka also and the artwork is incredible, the cover pages for both series are also really good.

Venom's a clever series, i tend to prefer the anti-hero characters a lot more and i enjoy the art style and the story line in Venom and the idea that Jack'o lantern is a 'real' human but is given that nickname through the way he kills his victims is smart.

Dhalia

View user profile http://www.schoolofbitches.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SamKaiba on Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 am

I have sooo much to catch up!!

Just read Vol 1 and 2 of Fables started the third one.... you guys read so badass comics Razz
SamKaiba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 am

Just read the latest CAPTAIN AMERICA arc by Ed Brubaker and Alan Davis. Not the best from both creators but still enjoyable.

Started the limited series by legendary comic creator Neal Adams - BATMAN ODYSSEY. The story looks good but I find that there is too much dialogue. Still quite enjoying the art.

BTW Thanks to some friend I got issue 1 signed. Very Happy
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle on Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 am

Finished reading Marvel's The List TP. Watching the Avengers movie revived my interest in superheroes. This one collects Dark Reign stories featuring Avengers, X-Men, Secret Warriors, Hulk, Punisher, Wolverine and Amazing Spider-Man. Overall all a pretty enjoyable read with the Wolverine and Spider-Man stories being my pick.

Am still reading Chronicles of Wormwood: The Last Battle, and have also started reading Zombie Cop.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks to Chris Le Galle (for lending me the comics), I have read the 4 trade paper backs of SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY.

At first I taught that this could be another mess by Grant Morrison as he did in FINAL CRISIS.

FINAL CRISIS had too many characters and this is Morrison's weak spot as I find that he is an excellent storyteller on certain characters but comes up with complicated stories that are hard to understand when he has too many characters. A point in his defense is that he did great runs on both the X-Men and Justice League which are both groups with a certain amount of characters.

Back to the 7 Soldiers. The art of each character is rendered by various talented artists. I could not find anything negative to say about this, as all the rendered artwork by the likes of Simone Bianchi, Ryan Sook, Frazer Irving, Yannick Paquette, and more ,suited the character it depicted. Morrison's narration got me hooked too. The only disappointment was the conclusion as I expected a grand finale but this never materialized.

Still I would recommend it so to view the development of certain characters and the highlight which is the artwork.

Hoping for something better for the next comics I read from Morrison.
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle on Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm

I agree with regards to the artwork. I also liked some of the stories, or at least the way they were developing. However, I found the constant switching between different stories, rather disruptive, and in the end it got so tiring that I stopped reading half way through the second book. Maybe one day I’ll get back to 7 Soldiers, but I will try to approach it differently next time.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Have finished reading Zombie Cop which was very enjoyable. Written by Jeff Mariotte and illustrated by Szymon Kudranski. Would have personally opted for a different ending, but still it was a good read.
chrislegalle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 am

It's all Samantha's fault.

She has lent me Fables vol 1 to 10 and that is the only comic I am reading.

This is an awesome series that has got me really hooked. Willingham writing is captivating and I am a fan of Mark Buckingham's artwork. There is not enough praise for this series. It up there with great creative teams as the likes of The Walking Dead, Preacher, Y the Last Man, American Vampire, etc...I am afraid that the disappointment that awaits me is soon, as there will be no more Fables left to read. Sad

To take a break from Fables I managed to read THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE. A sort of KICK-ASS/FLEX MENTALLO story but with a different twist. Loved it!
Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:34 am

Monday I finished volume 10 of Fables. This series seems to be getting better and better. It just got me hooked.

I also finished reading the 22 issue of Punisher Max by Jason Aaron. Wow! Certain aspects of the Punisher's character are explored and help to understand his motivation. It also ends with a big bang finale! Really worth it. Steve Dillon explores some new ways to draw violence. Some of the best ever covers are drawn by Dave Johnson.

Now I have started reading the End of the Earth arc from Amazing Spider-Man. Dan Slott is really nailing down the character of Peter Parker. Art by Stfeano Caselli and Humerto Ramos, compliment the story.

Christopher Muscat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top